Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sixty-three years later


I met Katharyn Uyetani in the spring of 1945.
She would became my friend the same year our United 
States Government, allowed a few of our citizens to leave
Concentration Camps, where they had been illegally interned. 

When we first met I assumed she was Native American, so I asked 
her “ What tribe are you? ”. She smiled and smiled and responded, 
“ Tribe? ”.
I explained that as Native Americans, when we meet someone we 
think is also Native American, we ask this question with hopes we 
might know a member of their tribe.

To this day, Sixty-three years later, Katharyn Uyetani Yamamoto 
remains my best friend.




Susan K. power


Later in August of that same year, we shared the horror of 
Hiroshima, Nagasaki bombing. 
Later we would attend memorials for the victims and the survivors 
of Hiroshima, Nagasaki.

Even th
ough I had three brothers and two sisters n the service at
the time, they .who we worried about, we still understood what a 
terrible thing our government had done. Eventually my family would 
share my feelings of doom because of what our government had 
unleashed inour beautiful world upon innocent Japanese people.


Susan K. Power 
“Makphi Bogawin” (my Sioux name), which means, “ Gathering of
Storm Cloud Women “
I am an enrolled member of the Standing Rock Sioux tribe. 
My reservation extends into North and South Dakota.



No comments:

Post a Comment